09 January, 2008

I did it!!!

Yesterday I walked all the way home from my office to my flat! That was the first time since my surgery. It was 1.75 miles!!! I did stop about mid-way to say hello to a friend (and see if I could get a haircut) but other than that, no breaks!
My hips definitely were hurting when I got home, so I iced for about 25 minutes and that seemed to help. I was a still a bit achy at night, but nothing out of control. This morning my muscles are a bit sore, but good sore, not agony-in-pain. Sore like I finally had some sort of workout! The hips are a little tender, but that's to be expected. Don't know if it was the best day to try it, but it was so lovely out last night I just had to have a walk. Suffice to mention I was slightly exuberant last night!
I had PT on Monday, which was the first time in almost two weeks as I'd been away. This past weekend I overexerted myself a bit and was pretty sore. I actually used the lidocaine patches on both hips on Monday. The left was really killing me the most, but I figured if one was good, two was better! It helped me get through the day though. I took them off at PT and felt the difference almost immediately. My PT decided that we would go light on certain exercises and cut out some others. He checked my ROM and said that I'd just irritated the hips, nothing serious. I kind of figured but it was a relief to hear it from a professional.
I should be allowed to start doing some pool exercises now as well, and will try to remember to get a list of things tonight so I can go this weekend and get started. YAY! I never thought I'd be so excited to exercise, but there you have it. Over a year of not being able to and I'm quite looking forward to it.

No comments: